Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mother always made her basic muffins using this recipe and I have not found a recipe that beats these for me. I think the difference lies in the addition of lemon juice to the batter.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 12 cup muffin tin.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add raisins and rind, tossing to combine.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, oil and lemon juice.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients till just moistened.
- Spoon into muffin tins, filling to top.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Remove to cooling racks.