1/4 Photos of Best-Ever Banana Bread (honestly!)
1 hr 20 mins
This was posted by nlb in epicurious. It is from Necessities & Temptations from the Junior League of Austin. I have never, EVER, had a banana bread this good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 10 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans (or more, toasted)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed (or 1 3/4 c, the bananas have to be so ripe that they're nearly black!)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I add 1 tblsp)
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (I also add 3/4 tsp baking powder)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Cream butter and sugar; mash bananas, beat 2 eggs and add to the bananas with vanilla and buttermilk; mix well and add to creamed butter and sugar; sift together flour, soda and salt; add to banana mixture, beat well; pour into 2 greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pans; bake 45 to 50 minutes (I find this bread needs over an hour) or until bread pulls away from sides of pan; add topping.
- 3To prepare Topping: Melt butter in saucepan; add sugar and milk; cook until syrupy (like honey); remove from heat and add chopped pecans; pour over bread spreading to all the corners and place under broiler until bubbly and brown.
- 4Watch closely (this takes around 1 minute- maybe even less!).
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best-Ever Banana Bread (honestly!)
Serving Size: 1 (1804 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3107.7
- Calories from Fat 1563
- Total Fat 173.7 g
- Saturated Fat 86.2 g
- Cholesterol 526.0 mg
- Sodium 3360.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 377.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.7 g
- Sugars 249.9 g
- Protein 29.9 g