Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
This classic quick bread has been a favorite in our family. It bakes up with a nice top and tender insides (not gummy or heavy like some I've tried). The key ingredients are the buttermilk and the banana extract.
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (I puree)
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk, plus
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk (I use fresh or powdered)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon banana extract (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until top is golden brown and splits slightly, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Slices well.
- Do not double recipe.