Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This classic quick bread has been a favorite in our family. It bakes up with a nice top and tender insides (not gummy or heavy like some I've tried). The key ingredients are the buttermilk and the banana extract.
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (I puree)
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk, plus
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk (I use fresh or powdered)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon banana extract (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until top is golden brown and splits slightly, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Slices well.
- Do not double recipe.
Best bread I made I tried it about two years ago and made it every time since
A good banana bread. Quick to mix up. Nice banana flavor. Thanks Roxygirl in Colorado. Bullwinkle.
Great moist banana bread, though my picture didnt' look as good as ncmysteryshopper's