I am not very fond of seafood, but even I love these crab cakes. They are delicious and savory. I've modified the recipe slightly from the version published in the Houston Chronicle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Crab Cakes
- 1/2 cup low-calorie mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (I crumble up two slices of day old bread)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh lump crabmeat (frozen crabmeat works just as well, but needs to be thawed first)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable oil)
For Dipping Sauce
- 1 bottle tartar sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1In a mixing bowl, combine the first 10 ingredient by hand or with a large spoon.
- 2Pick through the crabmeat for bits of shell or cartilage, trying not to break up the crab lumps.
- 3Fold the crabmeat gently into the mixture.
- 4For 8 to 10 crab cakes of roughly equal size (~3inch round), working as quickly as possible to maintain a cold temperature as much as possible.
- 5Makes roughly 24 bite sized cakes.
- 6Lightly oil a frying pan and cook cakes over medium heat until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- 7For a healthier cooking method, place the crab cakes on a baking sheet and cook under the broiler until the tops are a golden brown.
- 8Flip the crabcakes once so that both sides get cooked.
- 9For the Dipping Sauce combine the tartar sauce, lemon and Old Bay seasoning in a small bowl.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Ever Aquarium Crab Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.2
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 160.7 mg
- Sodium 493.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 20.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning
Old Bay Seasoning