Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is voted number one in most family. They always ask me to make it--they really enjoy it.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons rum or 2 tablespoons rum extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (8 ounce) container cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) boxsifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons eggnog
- yellow food coloring
- For cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl combine all ingredients; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Pour into 3 well-greased 8-inch round cake pans and bake for 20 minutes or when you stick knife in center it comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan. Cool completely, then frost.
- For cream cheese frosting: In small bowl beat cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar. Add eggnog, 1/2 teaspoon at a time. Stir in food coloring to desired color. Fill and frost cake layers.
I made this for my son's birthday, as a bundt cake. Everyone loved it. It was a very moist cake and the eggnog flavor was perfect. I am making it again today with regular cream cheese frosting, since I have just enough to make the cake. I greased the pan and instead of using flour, I use sugar to prepare the pan. It makes a nice little crunch on the surface of the cake.
Pretty good, as cakes go. I added some Allspice to my frosting and that ended up really good. Instead of the round pans, I used a 13X9 and extended the baking time. I didn't have rum or rum extract, so maybe that was why I thought it sort of bland for the cake itself. Eggnog seems to make really moist cakes, though, and this one was nice because it was easy to whip up.
I made this kid friendly in cupcakes I used reduced sugar cake mix, a dash of cinnamon, 1 1/4c of eggnog, 1/3c oil turned out nice.