Recipe by blucoat
This super moist and foolproof recipe is from Gourmet magazine (April 1990). If you want to lighten up the recipe, you can use low or non-fat sour cream or yogurt.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 -1 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, the baking powder, and a pinch of salt and in another bowl stir together the sour cream and the baking soda.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and 1 cup of the granulated sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Make sure you cream it well or the batter will be very thick. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and beat in the vanilla.
- Stir in the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream mixture and stir the batter until it is combined well.
- Pour the batter into a buttered 10-inch round cake pan. In a small bowl stir together the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, and the cinnamon and swirl the sugar mixture into the batter. (If you have a very thick batter, layer it like an oreo cookie instead batter, cinnamon sugar in the middle, and batter on top.).
- Bake the cake in the middle of a preheated 350°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Transfer it to a rack, and let it cool.