Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe I have been working on for years I think I have finally got it.
- 2 lbs pinto beans
- 2 small white onions
- 2 fresh jalapenos (optional)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 small roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 ham hocks
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 table spoons bacon drippings
- 12 ounces chicken stock
- 12 ounces dark beer (optional)
- Soak your beans. (This very important if you want tender beans). Bring beans to boil in 8-10 cups of water. Remove from heat covered. Let the beans soak for 30-45 minutes until the beans start to swell from the water infusing into them.
- Strain the beans. Bring another 8 cups of water to a boil. (The reason for this is to get all the excess dirt and debris out of the beans).
- While beans are boiling, trim the ham hocks of fat; leave fat in large pieces. Cut the meat into small bite-size pieces. Put all into pot. Remove fat and bones when your beans are done.
- Chop all veggies into small pieces. Combine veggies, meat, fat, and spices into large stock pot or dutch oven and simmer for at least 2 1/2 hours. Remove fat when finished. Taste, add more seasoning if needed.
This makes a very nice pot of beans but technically they are NOT Borracho Beans. Borracho in Spanish means "drunk" and these beans have no beer in them. Use a can of beer in place of some of your water and you will have true, savory, Borracho Beans.
Very good! Everyone loved them! Felt the directions were a bit fuzzy, for instance when do you add the chicken stock, I didn't....just the water and beer. Thanks for a great pot of beans, this is a keeper.
The best dang borracho beans!!!!! Yum! Made these for the family today! SO DANG GOOD! Everyone loved them! I soaked my beans over night. To boil I used 2qts of water and a 22oz bottle of budwieser. Added a diced bell pepper as well. This is a keeper! Thanks!