Recipe by cathy.johnson
This is easy and serves eight hungry people. Serve with skillet cornbread and you have a meal.
Top Review by linguinelisa
This is a great beef stew recipe! I only had about a pound and a half of beef stew so I used about half the amount of vegetables called for. I did use the whole can of tomatoes and the entire packet of au jus mix so it might have been a little more liquidy than the full recipe would have been but that's no problem for me! A great new addition to my slow cooker cookbook! Made for My-3-Chefs June 2012.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean boneless beef shoulder or 2 1⁄2 lbs top round beef or 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless bottom round roast
- 5 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut in 1 inch dice
- 5 large carrots, peeled and cut in 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup celery, sliced in 1/2 inch slices
- 3 medium onions, peeled and cut in quarters
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (1 ounce) packagepowdered au jus mix (gravy)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut beef in 1 inch cubes removing any fat.
- Place cut up vegetables in order in bottom of large crock pot carrots, potatoes, celery then onions.
- Place cubed beef over vegetables.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Sprinkle with package of Au Jus Gravy mix.
- Pour tomatoes over all.
- Cook for 1 hr on high then reduce to low for 6 hours (or 8 total hours on low if you are heading out for work or errands)
- Stir all together gently and let cook for 45 minutes.