Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a really tasty gumbo that is also easy to make. For more authentic taste you can add 1/4 cup of Gumbo Filé Powder spice before you serve. I hope you get to enjoy this as much as we do! Note: If this is too mild for your taste you can add some hot sauce as you serve. I made this for my 1 year old and I had to cut down on the spice.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped green pepper
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 14 ounces fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 lbs frozen sliced okra
- 1 lb peeled shrimp
- 1 lb shrimp, head on
- 1 lb smoked sausage (casing peeled and sliced into bite size)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups shrimp stock or 2 cups bouillon
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning (such as Slap ya Mama)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- Slowly stir the flour into heated oil in a heavy cast iron skillet. Continue to stir until the flour is dark brown. Add the next 4 ingredients; stir until onions are clear. Add tomato paste and a cup of water. Add okra and tomatoes. Cook slowly, adding all the water and shrimp stock -a little at a time. Stir in sugar & creole seasoning. Cook for about an hour on a low fire, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of pot; adding water if necessary.
- Add the shrimp ,sausage, parsley and the bay leaves. Cook another 30 minutes to an hour, adding seasoning to taste. Serve over boiled or steamed rice.