Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is the best macaroni and cheese I have ever had. Omit the crushed crackers if you don't want the crunch. This is from Southern Living 1993, with a few changes.
- 2 quarts water
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (dry)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup cheese crackers, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a large Dutch oven.
- Stir in macaroni and return to a rapid boil.
- Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Combine macaroni, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 11"x7"x1 1/2" baking dish.
- Sprinkle with crackers and bake at 325F 30-35 minutes.
I had some sour cream to use up and found this recipe. I am so happy I did! This makes a wonderfully creamy mac n' cheese. Since I didn't have cheese crackers on hand I crushed some Ritz, dabbed butter on the top and sprinkled parmesan cheese over it. Turned out fabulous! I think the crust ended up being my favourite part (I don't usually make mac n' cheese with any type of crust.) Delicious and definitely going to be a repeat dish for me! Thanks for sharing!
Made this last night... we liked it a lot...very cheesy... I put 2 cups mild chedder and two cups monterayjack/colby mix..it was really good...I would make it again... :)
This is the best mac and cheese that I have ever made! Try it you will love it too.