Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this in a newspaper a while back. It's fantastic.
- 3 heads broccoli
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 quarts chicken stock or 2 quarts chicken base
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ounce toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese or 8 ounces if you like Velveeta cheese (the cheese is opt.)
If you like a thicker soup Make a roux
- 1 tablespoon flour, plus
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Wash, remove florets and peel and chop stems.
- Melt the butter and saute the onion and stems of the broccoli over low heat for 15 min.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add chicken stock and simmer 20 min.
- Add florets and cream.
- Simmer 15 min.
- Remove from the heat and let it sit a few seconds.
- Cool and puree in food processor or blender.
- Strain (I like the pcs. so I don't do this step) Adjust seasoning such as salt, and pepper if you like.
- If you use a chicken base watch the amount of salt you add.
- Serve warm and sprinkle with the toasted hazelnuts and small croutons.