Recipe by ktkate
This is ultimate comfort food for me. Serve with home made bread or a salad and its also great with a BLT. I like leaving the skin on the tomatoes, but you can scald and remove the skins first if you want. The same goes for the potatoes--peel on is fine.
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups minced onions
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot cook the tomatoes, potatoes, onions, pepper, basil and tomato paste in the beef broth for 30 minutes or until very soft.
- Make the cream sauce while the vegetables are cooking. Over low heat add the flour to the milk and cook to thicken. Stir almost constantly.
- Working carefully and in small batches transfer the broth and vegetables to a blender and puree. This is hot do not burn yourself.
- Return to the pot and add the cream sauce. Stirring well. (As an alternative you may add the cream sauce to broth in the blender while pureeing).
- Adjust pepper and basil to taste.