Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is thick and flavorful. Simple, delicious, and quick to make. Hope that you enjoy it as much as my family does. I have added chicken to this soup, very good
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk (or 1 1/2 cups milk and 1/2 cup evaporated milk)
- 1⁄2 cup Velveeta cheese (or more)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium sized stock pot, and sauté onion, garlic and celery until tender.
- Add broccoli and broth; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Purée soup (I use a hand blender) or mash with potato masher.
- Return to heat.
- In small saucepan, over medium heat melt 3 tablespoons butter, stir in flour and add milk.
- Stir until thick and bubbly, add to soup.
- Add cheese; stir until melted.
- Season with pepper and serve.
I thought I found the perfect broccoli soup (Uncle Bill's #19107), but wanted to try one that used cheese. Now I have two favorite broccoli soups, and both are easy and delicious. I did substitute sharp chedder, and melted it into the white sauce; then added the sauce to the vegetable soup. While the soup tasted great that way, I then incorporated one of Uncle Bill's soup secrets--a tablespoon of soy sauce. You will not detect any soy sauce taste, but it does impart a more robust flavor. Thanks Barb, for sharing another great recipe--all yours sound good.
Velveeta! You have to be kidding, this is not even cheese. As some of the members have done, please substitute with cheddar or even swiss cheese.
Really very good. Doubled the white sauce as it was too thin, added 1T soy sauce and used shredded mozzarella cheese as it was all we had.