Recipe by Barb G.
This recipe is thick and flavorful. Simple, delicious, and quick to make. Hope that you enjoy it as much as my family does. I have added chicken to this soup, very good
Top Review by ladyfingers
I thought I found the perfect broccoli soup (Uncle Bill's #19107), but wanted to try one that used cheese. Now I have two favorite broccoli soups, and both are easy and delicious. I did substitute sharp chedder, and melted it into the white sauce; then added the sauce to the vegetable soup. While the soup tasted great that way, I then incorporated one of Uncle Bill's soup secrets--a tablespoon of soy sauce. You will not detect any soy sauce taste, but it does impart a more robust flavor. Thanks Barb, for sharing another great recipe--all yours sound good.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk (or 1 1/2 cups milk and 1/2 cup evaporated milk)
- 1⁄2 cup Velveeta cheese (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium sized stock pot, and sauté onion, garlic and celery until tender.
- Add broccoli and broth; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Purée soup (I use a hand blender) or mash with potato masher.
- Return to heat.
- In small saucepan, over medium heat melt 3 tablespoons butter, stir in flour and add milk.
- Stir until thick and bubbly, add to soup.
- Add cheese; stir until melted.
- Season with pepper and serve.