Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This comes from About.com Southern Food. Put here for safe keeping.
- 5 -6 cups torn brioche bread (about 8 ounces) or 5 -6 cups rolls (about 8 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries, coarsley chopped
- 2 oranges, juice and finely grated zest (about 1/2 cup juice and 2 teaspoons zest)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cups half-and-half, heated until hot but not boiling
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Butter a 9" square pan or 11 x 7 " baking dish.
- Heat oven to 350*.
- In a large bowl, combine torn bread, cranberries, orange zest, and juice.
- In another bowl, whisk together the vanilla, butter, half-and-half, and eggs.
- Pour over the bread; stir in the sugar.
- Let bread soak for about 5 minutes.
- Pour into prepared baking dish; place in a larger pan and place on rack in oven. Pour very hot water into the larger pan, to a depth of about 1/2 inch.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until set.
- Serve with vanilla sauce, an orange custard sauce, or a little heavy cream.