1/1 Photo of Best Corned Beef/ Silverside on the Planet.
I didn't post this family recipe here earlier because I thought that everyone made corned beef/silverside like I did LOL... Now I did a search to look for duplicates and found none! WELL folks, you gotta try this... this is to die for... get ready to drool. In fact, if your pieces of beef are smaller, do two and pop them both in the pot at once :) NOTE: for more information on a question raised especially for this recipe please see topic: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=4408769#4408769
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Take the corned beef/silverside out of the plastic wrapping and wash it off in cold water. (makes it less slippery and easier to handle).
- 2Take the whole cloves and stick the little spike part of each clove well into the meat. (sometimes you need to make a little hole into the meat with the point of a veggie knife in order to get it in). Stud the entire piece of meat evenly with cloves, using more than 40 of them if necessary).
- 3Put the golden syrup into the bottom of a large tall saucepan (I use a big soup pot).
- 4Put the meat into the pot, add the bay leaf and pepper, halve the oranges and squeeze them to get some juice out over the meat, drop the squeezed oranges into the pot as well.
- 5Cover with water and simmer for 1.5 to 2.5 hours depending on how big the piece of meat is -- even a small bit does really well on low for 1.5-2 hours. Top up the water if necessary.
- 6Take out and rest the meat for 10 minutes. Pick out what cloves you can (they are really there for flavour, not to be eaten) Cut across the grain. (if you do it the wrong way your "slice" of meat will fall into 1000 tiny pieces so just turn the meat around and cut at right angles to your first cut if that happens.).
- 7Cut it into thin slices. Serve with mustard sauce (if you can already keep your hands from nibbling it off plate).
- 8Prepare to taste corned beef like you've never tasted it before -- ummmmm --.
- 9Serves 4 in theory, but I have to confess that DH and I we could eat one small one each. <blush> LOL nibble, nibble, just a little bit more, nibble, nibble, opps , gone!
- 10Served cold, it also makes great sandwiches -- but in our house there's rarely enough left over to make a sandwich :).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Corned Beef/ Silverside on the Planet.
Serving Size: 1 (597 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1384.8
- Calories from Fat 892
- Total Fat 99.2 g
- Saturated Fat 32.8 g
- Cholesterol 490.0 mg
- Sodium 5727.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 92.7 g