Recipe by johnny3
I have made these loads of times and enjoy more each time. It is easiest to melt all butter needed first and use as needed.
Top Review by pattikay in L.A.
I wanted to make cinnamon rolls this morning and didn't have time for yeast, so I gave these a try. They turned out great and were much appreciated by our junior high Sunday School class. I didn't have any cream cheese, so I used Kittencal's Really Easy and Good Creamy White Glaze, which topped them off nicely. Thanks for posting.
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus flour for work surface
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour 1 tablespoon melted butter in 9-inch nonstick cake pan; brush to coat pan.
- To make filling: Combine sugars, spices, and salt in small bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon melted butter and stir with fork or fingers until mixture resembles wet sand; set filling mixture aside.
- To make dough: Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk and 2 tablespoons melted butter in measuring cup or small bowl.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients and stir with wooden spoon until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and knead until just smooth.
- Pat dough with hands into 12 by 9-inch rectangle.
- Fill, roll, cut, 9 pieces and arrange buns in buttered cake pan.
- Brush with 2 tablespoons remaining melted butter.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 23 to 25 minutes.
- Cool about 5 minutes before icing.
- To make icing and finish buns: Whisk cream cheese and buttermilk in large bowl until thick and smooth.
- Sift confectioners sugar over; whisk until smooth glaze forms.
- Spoon glaze evenly over buns; serve immediately.