Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The richest, creamiest chocolate pudding. Feel free to substitute low-fat milk for the whole milk, but expect a less rich final product.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder (or instant coffee)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dutch process cocoa
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (60% cocoa)
- Mix vanilla and espresso powder in a very small bowl.
- In a large saucepan, whisk sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt until combined.
- Whisk in heavy cream, egg yolks and whole milk over medium to medium-high heat. Bring to a strong SIMMER (should take five minutes) and let simmer for 30 seconds.
- Add in butter, one tablespoon at a time, and finely chopped chocolate.
- Stir in vanilla/espresso and incorporate.
- Strain through a mesh strainer, into individual ramekins or bowls, or into a large bowl.
- Cover surface with wax paper or parchment sprayed with Pam to prevent a skin from forming on the top of the pudding.
- Chill for at least four hours.
- Whisk pudding before serving.