Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This cake is a moist and rich chocolate cake. Great served with ice cream or custard to cut the richness slightly. Enjoy!
- 8 ounces flour
- 8 ounces butter (softened)
- 8 ounces sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup hot water
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (if you like it more chocolaty, just taste and add more cocoa at the end)
For the icing
- about 1 cup icing sugar
- about 1 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Butter and dust with flour a 12 inch baking tin and put to side.
- Combine together flour, sugar and butter in electric mixer until all mixed together.
- Add the eggs until mixture is smooth.
- Mix together cocoa and water so there are no lumps of powder.
- Add into the mixture of flour, sugar, butter and eggs until all combined.
- Taste to see if any more cocoa is needed. If so, you can just add some of the powder.
- Add the baking powder but don't over mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tin and put into oven.
- Leave for about 30 - 40 minutes then check on the cake.
- If a knife comes out clean, it is ready. If not, leave for another 5 - 10 minutes then check again.
- Once the cake is ready, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While the cake is cooling, mix the cocoa and icing sugar with a tiny bit of water until you get a good consistency for icing the cake.
- Ice the cake and serve!