Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the number one most requested dish at my house. Even my picky pre-teen daughters love this. Legend has it that this dish is named after a nineteenth century opera singer, Luisa Tetrazzini. This dish MUST be made a day in advance.
- Cook chicken in lots of water until done. Save the stock!
- Tear chicken into pieces and toss with onion salt and celery salt. Set aside.
- Cook 1/2 lb of spaghetti per label directions in the reserved chicken stock. (add more water as needed).
- Drain spaghetti and place in 9 x 13 baking dish.
- In a skillet heat 3 tbsp butter,1 tbsp lemon juice and 1/2 tsp salt until melted. Pour this mixture over cooked spaghetti and toss lightly.
- In same skillet slowly heat another 3 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/8 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp paprika until smooth and thick. Remove from heat.
- Add whipping cream to above mixture and stir.
- Add the above to the chicken and toss.
- Spoon chicken evenly over spaghetti.
- Cover the chicken and spaghetti with 2/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cook uncovered for 25 minutes in a 400 degree oven and enjoy!
This went over big here too,with one exception. We all thought it was a tad too salty. Next time I'll reduce the onion/celery salt combo. Thanks!
Our family loved this! I have made 5 or 6 different tetrazzini recipes (all from scratch, no cream of crap soup allowed) and this was by far the best! I too added mushroom and pimentoes to the chicken mixture. This will go into our rotation menu! Thanks for posting!
This is it! The taste I have been looking for in Tetrazzini! Of course, I didn't follow the recipe exactly (hardly ever do). I didn't use the onion and celery salt-I used chopped onion and celery and sauteed them a little. I also added some canned mushrooms. The rest of the recipe was followed exactly, except that I added 2 TBSP of sherry (it's just not tetrazzini without sherry to me) and put breadcrumbs and daubed butter on the top before baking. And it was perfect! I will definately be making this one again and again!