Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
An herb and lemony chicken salad, made with a fantastic homemade mayonnaise that takes this already yummy salad right over the top. You can whip it up long before you can run to the store for a more expensive and less tasty product. Fabulous for sandwiches, salads, etc.
- 1419.54 ml shredded cooked chicken, from rotisserie chicken
- 236.59 ml mayonnaise, homemade, recipe below
- 2 stalk celery, finely diced
- 59.14 ml scallion, chopped
- 118.29 ml chopped fresh herb, parsley, basil, and thyme work well
- 1 lemon, zested
- 14.79-29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml dry mustard (or dijon mustard)
- 0.25 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 236.59 ml canola oil
- For homemade mayonaise - in a glass bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and other ingredients (except the oil). Starting very slowly (just a drop at a time) whisk the oil into the egg yolk mixture. Once an emulsion forms you can increase the oil to a thin stream. Continue whisking in the oil until it is all incorporated. Can be refrigerated up to one week.
- Combine chicken with enough mayonnaise to moisten (according to taste). Fold in the celery, scallions and herbs. Season with salt and lots of pepper.
Enjoyed this chicken salad very much -- the lemon juice and herbs really give it a fresh flavor. This would be a great party salad for sandwiches and I will definitely make this dish again! Made for Fall PAC, 2011.