Recipe by The Cafe Sucre Farine
An herb and lemony chicken salad, made with a fantastic homemade mayonnaise that takes this already yummy salad right over the top. You can whip it up long before you can run to the store for a more expensive and less tasty product. Fabulous for sandwiches, salads, etc.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Enjoyed this chicken salad very much -- the lemon juice and herbs really give it a fresh flavor. This would be a great party salad for sandwiches and I will definitely make this dish again! Made for Fall PAC, 2011.
- 6 cups shredded cooked chicken, from rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup mayonnaise, homemade, recipe below
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh herb, parsley, basil, and thyme work well
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard (or dijon mustard)
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- For homemade mayonaise - in a glass bowl, whisk together the egg yolk and other ingredients (except the oil). Starting very slowly (just a drop at a time) whisk the oil into the egg yolk mixture. Once an emulsion forms you can increase the oil to a thin stream. Continue whisking in the oil until it is all incorporated. Can be refrigerated up to one week.
- Combine chicken with enough mayonnaise to moisten (according to taste). Fold in the celery, scallions and herbs. Season with salt and lots of pepper.