A chicken pie that has lots of gravy and a salty/short crust.
My Private Note
9x13 se ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs whole chickens, skinned and cut into pieces
- 1 lb chicken breast, bone-in and skinned
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (Yukon Gold or Sheprody)
- 1 lb frozen peas
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- flour (plus water to make slurry to thicken gravy)
- 1In a large pot put whole chicken pieces and chicken breasts in enough water to cover (include cage but w/out giblets).
- 2Add half the onions, season w/ S& P.
- 3Simmer until the meat is very tender and falls easily off the bone.
- 4Save liquid for gravy.
- 5Cool meat thoroughly and pick chicken from bones.
- 6Cook carrots and potatoes in chicken liquid until tender.
- 7Season w/ S& P.
- 8Remove veggies from liquid& cool them completely.
- 9Add remaining onions and bring to a slow boil.
- 10Reduce chicken/vegetable liquid by half.
- 11Skim all fat from whole chicken broth.
- 12Add onion powder.
- 13Taste and reseason w/ S& P.
- 14Whisk together 1 c.
- 15of flour& 1 c.
- 16+of water for a gravy slurry.
- 17Slowly whisk slurry into broth and cook until gravy is thick.
- 19Add meat and vegetables into a 9x13x2 pan.
- 20Add frozen peas on top.
- 21Stir a bit.
- 22Cover w/ gravy and cover w/ tin foil.
- 23Chill thoroughly as this will keep the pie crust from becoming soggy (At this point you can freeze this pie and cover w/ crust later).
- 24Crust: In a bowl add flour, salt, shortening.
- 25Beat with an electric mixer on low until all is incorporated.
- 26Do not overmix.
- 27By hand mix in enough egg/water mixture so that dough holds together.
- 28Roll out, cover pie, crimp edges and make vent slits in top.
- 29Bake fresh pies at 350 F for 45 minutes plus or until crust is golden and chicken bubbling.
- 30Frozen method: This crust can be placed on frozen chicken mixture and then be refrozen for later use.
- 31Bake frozen pies for 70 minutes plus until crust is golden and chicken bubbling.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Chicken Pie
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.8
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 77.4 mg
- Sodium 249.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 24.1 g