Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
A chicken pie that has lots of gravy and a salty/short crust.
Make and share this Best Chicken Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs whole chickens, skinned and cut into pieces
- 1 lb chicken breast, bone-in and skinned
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (Yukon Gold or Sheprody)
- 1 lb frozen peas
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- flour (plus water to make slurry to thicken gravy)
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten in a cup w/ enough water added to make 1/2 cup
- In a large pot put whole chicken pieces and chicken breasts in enough water to cover (include cage but w/out giblets).
- Add half the onions, season w/ S& P.
- Simmer until the meat is very tender and falls easily off the bone.
- Save liquid for gravy.
- Cool meat thoroughly and pick chicken from bones.
- Cook carrots and potatoes in chicken liquid until tender.
- Season w/ S& P.
- Remove veggies from liquid& cool them completely.
- Add remaining onions and bring to a slow boil.
- Reduce chicken/vegetable liquid by half.
- Skim all fat from whole chicken broth.
- Add onion powder.
- Taste and reseason w/ S& P.
- Whisk together 1 c.
- of flour& 1 c.
- +of water for a gravy slurry.
- Slowly whisk slurry into broth and cook until gravy is thick.
- Add meat and vegetables into a 9x13x2 pan.
- Add frozen peas on top.
- Stir a bit.
- Cover w/ gravy and cover w/ tin foil.
- Chill thoroughly as this will keep the pie crust from becoming soggy (At this point you can freeze this pie and cover w/ crust later).
- Crust: In a bowl add flour, salt, shortening.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low until all is incorporated.
- Do not overmix.
- By hand mix in enough egg/water mixture so that dough holds together.
- Roll out, cover pie, crimp edges and make vent slits in top.
- Bake fresh pies at 350 F for 45 minutes plus or until crust is golden and chicken bubbling.
- Frozen method: This crust can be placed on frozen chicken mixture and then be refrozen for later use.
- Bake frozen pies for 70 minutes plus until crust is golden and chicken bubbling.
I would divide this recipe in two. The first part the chicken stew which was very good. The second part is the crust that did not come out as good. I followed the recipe but it did not hold very good and I had to put it in pieces on top of the pie. In general is a good recipe but it took forever to prepare. My family liked it but it I am very tired!!!