Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
This is called Best Cherry Pie because it is a blue ribbon winner at the county fair in Vicksburg, MS (according to the cookbook "Vintage Vicksburg"). I think it's a blue ribbon winner
Top Review by ladyfingers
I didn't think I could improve on my cherry pie--WRONG! This replaces it in a heartbeat. Turned out beautifully. The only change I made was to give the upper crust an egg white wash, then sprinkle with sugar. Thanks, Luby for another winner.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canspitted tart cherries, drained and reserving 1/2 cup juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Combine cherry juice, food coloring, almond extract and lemon juice.
- Add to dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Add cherries and mix well again.
- Add butter and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour cherry mixture into pie crust and finish top with lattice work pie crust.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes.