This is called Best Cherry Pie because it is a blue ribbon winner at the county fair in Vicksburg, MS (according to the cookbook "Vintage Vicksburg"). I think it's a blue ribbon winner
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Combine cherry juice, food coloring, almond extract and lemon juice.
- Add to dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Add cherries and mix well again.
- Add butter and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour cherry mixture into pie crust and finish top with lattice work pie crust.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes.