Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my mother-in-law's recipe. It is made in one 9-inch round cake pan. I think it's the best carrot cake I've ever had.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup nuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- For cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Dust with flour.
- In bowl, mix together flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time.
- Beat flour mixture and milk into butter mixture.
- Stir in carrots and nuts.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake cake for 40 minutes.
- Let cake cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- For icing, beat butter and cream cheese.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Beat in sugar.
- Mix topping ingredients in separate bowl.
- Spread icing on cake when it is completely cooled.
- Sprinkle nut mixture on top of cake.
No complaints here! This was a fantastic cake and I love the one-layer size. This will make it great to take to a friend's house for a coffee date (we won't have to feel so guilty and I can still leave some behind for my friend! I made it for a dessert/appetizer buffet last night and it was the first thing to go. Thanks Lainey!