Recipe by HocoRuco
This is by far the best carrot cake recipe I've ever had. You can substitute the pecans for walnuts if you prefer. Both are tasty. This recipe is also very easy because you don't have to worry too much about sifting the dry ingredients and making the batter perfectly smooth.
Top Review by crimsondreams90
This cake is AMAZING!!! My roomies and bf agree. One of the best carrot cakes I've ever had!
I added some nutmeg and ginger and omitted the pecans (I'm too cheap/lazy to go to the store) but alas, wonderful!
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- First prepare the cake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all cake ingredients (brown sugar, oil, eggs, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, carrots and pecans) in a large bowl.
- Pour batter into a 13x9 inch cake pan or two 8 inch round cake pans that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes (if using 13x9) or until toothpick comes out clean but cake is still moist.
- Allow cake to cool and prepare cream cheese frosting.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla.
- Cover cooled cake with frosting, slice and serve.
- You may want to keep it in the fridge if you aren't going to be eating it right away because of the cream cheese in the frosting.