Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made this cake for Easter, and everone loved it, saying it was the best carrot cake ever.
- 3 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut, toasted
- Combine flour, salt, soda,& cinnamon.
- Set aside.
- Combine eggs, sugar,& oil; mix until smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture a little at a time until well blended.
- Stir in carrots, walnuts, pineapple, & vanilla, mixing evenly.
- Pour into a greased 9x13in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes.
- Cream together, cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
- Add sugar a 1/4 cup at a time, until well blended.
- After frosting cooled carrot cake, sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- To toast coconut, put on cookie sheet, under broiler for about 1 minute.
- Keep an eye on it to be sure it does not burn!
I took this to work for a retirement party and I had so many compliments that I thought I should be on a cooking show on TV. ;-) I was requested to make it 3 more times in the next 2 months for other occasions. My family loves it and people are still talking about it when they see me. Thanks for the real winner!
Easy to make. I did use 1 cup light brown sugar in place of part of the white sugar...just like the taste and texture better. Also didn't have enough walnuts so I mixed half pecans and chopped them vey fine in my processor (the kids never know that there are nuts and carrots in the cake when I pulverize them!). I used my own frosting recipe that is very similar to this recipe except my frosting contains a spritz of lemon juice (about 3T) and the spice mace (1/4 tsp) from an old recipe that I've used forever. I don't use the coconut but I may try it next time:) The cake is delicious!
The cake was delicious . . . only I added raisins and coconut into the cake batter and only had to cook it for 30 minutes. I also bought my own icing and when I toasted the coconut, I also put walnuts on top. Great cake! Everyone loved it.