Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I received this recipe from a friend and have been making it for years. I think it has the best flavors with the cumin seed and cilantro. Increase the amount of peppers to increase the heat.
- 16 cups tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups jalapenos, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups red chili peppers, chopped (optional for hot salsa)
- 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Blend all ingredients except cilantro and cook for 2 hours, uncovered.
- Sterilize canning jars.
- Put the salsa in the jars and evenly distribute the cilantro on top of the jars. I also put 1 tablespoon of lime juice in each jar.
- Water bath the jars for 15 minutes.
This salsa is phenomenal! However, too spicy for my taste. This was excellent!