Recipe by Raspberry Cordial
Everyone loves these!
Top Review by lindam1230
This recipe was too dry as it was written. I added another 1/4 c of buttermilk and it was fine. It is sweeter than the one I had made before, if I made it again I would cut back on the sugar to 1/3 c. I also added 1 tsp of vanilla to batter and sprinkled tops with cinnamon sugar.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder, heaping
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In large bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Cut in margarine with pastry cutter till crumbly.
- Add buttermilk and raisins and mix. Batter should be stiff but not dry.
- Drop by large rounded spoonfuls onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle tops of scones with sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes till golden brown.
- Serve with strawberry jam and devonshire cream.
- Recipe may be doubled.