Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
The best, in my family's opinion
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- salt (a big pinch)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter, at room temperature, plus
- butter, extra for the griddle
- Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Whisk the flour mixture, beaten eggs, buttermilk, sugar, vanilla, and melted butter until they are very smooth; let the batter sit for 5 minutes.
- Preheat an electric griddle to 375° (or place nonstick griddle/large nonstick skillet over medium heat).
- Just before cooking the pancakes, coat cooking surface with melted butter using a pastry brush.
- Scoop up batter in a ½ cup measuring cup; pour batter onto hot griddle, letting it spread by itself into a circle that is about 5 inches in diameter; repeat with remaining batter (possibly in batches) until a dozen or so pancakes are formed.
- Flip the pancakes when their edges appear to be hardening a little; there should also be many small holes opening up on the surface of the pancakes; should take about 2 minutes.
- Cook pancakes on the other side for about 2 minutes, or until pancakes are golden brown and cooked through.
- *If cooking pancakes in batches, keep them warm while the others are cooking; remember to reheat and butter the griddle after each round of pancake cooking.