Recipe by Sherrybeth
This is a cake that my kids request for their birthdays almost every year. It is a vanilla cake that we top with a chocolate or lemon icing.
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter flavor shortening (Crisco)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract (I have also used vanilla, butter & nut extract for a richer flavor)
- 2 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour 2 nine inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, shortening and sugar together and whip until creamy. Do not overbeat.
- Beat in the eggs and the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine well.
- Add buttermilk and stir until combined.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and stir until all ingredients are well mixed. Again, be careful not to overbeat.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Reduce oven temp to 300 and bake for 40-50 minutes until cake is done in the middle.
- Cool and frost with your favorite icing.