Recipe by NannyMarvel
This recipe is from Sunset Magazine. I cut it out a couple of years ago but never got around to trying it until now. It's an amazing cake - really easy to make and can be frosted with so many different toppings. It's a new cake every time.
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 2 round 8-in. cake pans.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat sugar and butter until creamy. Crack eggs into a small dish (do not beat) and add vanilla. Add eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, scraping down the inside of the bowl as needed. Beat in flour mixture and milk in alternating batches, starting and ending with the flour and making sure each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Divide batter evenly between pans. Let batter sit in pans for five minutes.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake come out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans 5 minutes. Invert onto a rack, remove pans and let cakes cool to room temperature, at least 40 minutes.
- Frost with your favorite and enjoy.
- (Cakes can be made up to 2 days ahead and wrapped in plastic wrap and chilled).