This recipe is from Sunset Magazine. I cut it out a couple of years ago but never got around to trying it until now. It's an amazing cake - really easy to make and can be frosted with so many different toppings. It's a new cake every time.
My Private Note
layer c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 2 round 8-in. cake pans.
- 2Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
- 3In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat sugar and butter until creamy. Crack eggs into a small dish (do not beat) and add vanilla. Add eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, scraping down the inside of the bowl as needed. Beat in flour mixture and milk in alternating batches, starting and ending with the flour and making sure each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- 4Divide batter evenly between pans. Let batter sit in pans for five minutes.
- 5Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake come out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- 6Cool cakes in pans 5 minutes. Invert onto a rack, remove pans and let cakes cool to room temperature, at least 40 minutes.
- 7Frost with your favorite and enjoy.
- 8(Cakes can be made up to 2 days ahead and wrapped in plastic wrap and chilled).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Butter Cake
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.6
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 43.1 mg
- Sodium 217.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 2.7 g