Recipe by GrumpyIrishLady
I know the title sounds a little pretentious, but these seriously are amazing. I've had many self-proclaimed Brussels sprout haters do a complete u-turn with this recipe. The best part is that it is so quick and just uses the microwave, so for big dinners where the oven is in use, this makes a great side!
Top Review by nmalthouse
This recipe produces the best Brussels Sprouts I have ever had. I substitiuted Green Giant 10oz. Brussels Sprouts frozen with butter sauce, used Splenda Brown Sugar for baking and 2 small Granny Smith apples. I think the red apples would be more attractive, but I especially liked the ease of being able to adjust the ingredients to those I had on hand. The sweetness was just right.
- 1 lb Brussels sprout
- 2 large red apples
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and halve the Brussels sprouts. Put them in a microwave safe dish and add a tablespoon or so of water. Cover and microwave on high for about five minutes. They should NOT be fully cooked.
- Core, then roughly chop the apples, leaving skin on.
- Mix the butter, sugar and nutmeg.
- Add the apples to the sprouts and cover with butter mixture. Return to microwave and microwave for 4-5 minutes until sprouts are cooked.
- Cooking time will vary depending on your microwave.
- Serve immediately. Great as leftovers too!