Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I know the title sounds a little pretentious, but these seriously are amazing. I've had many self-proclaimed Brussels sprout haters do a complete u-turn with this recipe. The best part is that it is so quick and just uses the microwave, so for big dinners where the oven is in use, this makes a great side!
- 1 lb Brussels sprout
- 2 large red apples
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- Clean and halve the Brussels sprouts. Put them in a microwave safe dish and add a tablespoon or so of water. Cover and microwave on high for about five minutes. They should NOT be fully cooked.
- Core, then roughly chop the apples, leaving skin on.
- Mix the butter, sugar and nutmeg.
- Add the apples to the sprouts and cover with butter mixture. Return to microwave and microwave for 4-5 minutes until sprouts are cooked.
- Cooking time will vary depending on your microwave.
- Serve immediately. Great as leftovers too!
This recipe produces the best Brussels Sprouts I have ever had. I substitiuted Green Giant 10oz. Brussels Sprouts frozen with butter sauce, used Splenda Brown Sugar for baking and 2 small Granny Smith apples. I think the red apples would be more attractive, but I especially liked the ease of being able to adjust the ingredients to those I had on hand. The sweetness was just right.
Excellent! I cut the recipe in half, used 1 Tablespoon Splenda Brown Sugar Blend & 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar. My DH needs to eat more vegetables and he ate this one with flying stars. I don't think he has ever eaten a brussels sprout in his life until now! He even went back for seconds! BRAVO!
What a wonderful way to enjoy these little buggers, what with the apple, nutmeg & sugar! This will definitely be my recipe of choice when serving Brussels sprouts again! Thanks much for sharing it!