Recipe by Chef TanyaW
I was hoping to find this recipe and method in a recipe already on the site... no luck. But it's delicious! I hope you enjoy it. Active prep time is 15 minutes. But allow an hour total for waiting time and cooking time.
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil (I use extra virgin)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed (I use medium to large or 6 small)
- 2 lbs tomatoes, diced small (fresh from the garden is best, I use cherry and or or grape and or or roma or any combination from t)
- 1 baguette
- 20 leaves basil, fresh (rolled and sliced thin... 1/16-inch strips)
- feta cheese (I actually don't like feta, but it's part of the original recipe)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine crushed garlic and olive oil, let sit for 30 minutes.
- Pour garlic and olive oil over diced tomatoes, and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- I don't drain the tomatoes, I put them in with all their juices, which can make the bread get a little juicy in the middle. I love it that way, but if you don't, drain some of the juices before adding garlic and olive oil.
- Broil bread to get it a little crispy and lightly browned (I have a large toaster oven and I use that).
- Spread tomato/oil/garlic mixture liberally on each piece of bread.
- Top with fresh basil.
- Add feta if you like.
- Watch it disappear before your eyes.