Recipe by Abbey
I got this recipe out of the newspaper many, many years ago. It's very easy and oh so good! You can make it with or without the frosting.
Top Review by Marie Nixon
I read the reviews here for this brownie and also on allrecipes.com. The recipe on allrecipes.com called for an 8" square pan. I think I would use that size pan next time so that the brownies would be a little bit thicker. The 9" pan makes a thin brownie. There were many negative comments about the frosting so I went with my tried and true brownie glaze. It is the same ingredients only the butter is melted and I adjust the confectioners sugar until I get a nice consistency.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (don't use margarine) or 1⁄2 cup melted butter (don't use margarine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Creamy Brownie Frosting
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup or 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir oil or melted butter, sugar and vanilla together in large mixer bowl.
- Add eggs, beat until well blended using a spoon.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture.
- Add nuts if desired.
- Spread into a greased 9 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until brownie pulls away from the edge of the pan.
- Cool in the pan.
- Frost with Creamy Brownie Frosting if desired.
- Cut into squares.
- Creamy Brownie Frosting Instructions:.
- Cream butter, cocoa, corn syrup or honey and vanilla in small mixer bowl.
- Add powdered sugar and milk; beat to spreading consistency.
- Makes about 1 cup frosting.