Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this salad for an end of school year pot luck. The following year I was asked if I would bring it again. People remember this salad from year to year. It can be made the day before and chilled - which is very helpful. It uses a full pound of bacon. The cook time is actually "chill time" in the refrigerator.
- 1 bunch broccoli (tops only, broken into small pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 small onion, chopped (or less)
- 1 lb bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Combine all the salad ingredients, tossing well to mix.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together then toss with the salad mix.
- Let stand at least 1 hour in the refrigerator (can be made the day before).
Great salad. Thanks for the recipe. Even folks who don't like broccoli like this recipe. My minor variations include lightly blanching the broccoli, substituting pine nuts instead of sunflower seeds, and using low fat mayo. Also, used red onion.
I left out the bacon and used light mayo and it was still delicious!