Recipe by MizEmerilLagasse
This is the most moist and juicey turkey I have ever had in my life! I heard about brining turkeys on the food network and just knew I had to try it. So I made this recipe, and did. All I can say is that it's fabulous, and I know you will think so to. Thank you for trying it. ENJOY!
Top Review by Malriah
This recipe is from "Good Eats" with Alton Brown. It does make a very moist and tasty turkey. To save a few dollars you can sub water for the veggie broth and it will work just as well.
- 15 -20 lbs turkey
- 1 gallon vegetable stock
- 1 gallon water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 large red apple, cut in 2
- 2 medium white onions, cut in 2
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 -2 sprig fresh thyme or 1 -2 sprig rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter, optional
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot stir together the stock, water, brown sugar, salt, all spice, black pepper, cinnamon, and thyme Bring to a boil, turn to medium heat and let simmer for 5 minutes Remove from heat and cool completely, no cheating now!
- Place the turkey in a clean 5 gallon bucket and pour the brine over it Cover and let sit over night Flip the turkey in the morning, a few hours before cooking After the turkey is done in the brine, remove it from the brine and place it in its baking pan On a microwave safe plat, place the red, onions, cinnamon sticks, and thyme or rosemary Sprinkle with about 1/4 cup water and microwave on high for 7 minutes Place the apple, onions, cinnamon sticks, and thyme or rosemary inside the turkey Inject the turkey with the butter, optional Preheat oven to 500F, yes I know it's high, but trust me Cook the turkey for 30 minutes or until it is browned Cover with heavy duty foil and turn the oven down to 350F Bake for 2 1/2-3 hours more or until the turkey has reached an internal temperature of 161F.
- Remove turkey form the oven and allow to sit for 20 minutes or so before carving.
- **Youcan infuse the injection butter with garlic cloves, thyme, rosemary, pepper corns, or cinnamon sticks by just slowly melt it in a small sauce pan with one of those choices in it.
- Just remember to strain before injecting.
- Serving Suggestions: Mashed potatoes, corn, biscuits, corn bread, peas, or just bread.