Recipe by todgeimer
This recipe gives a slightly dense bread with a slightly chewy crust and a little tang from the sour dough, depending entirely on your sourdough. A “San Francisco” sourdough starter is appropriate for this recipe.
- 236.59 ml sourdough starter, you must have a starter available
- 177.44 ml water, warm about 110F
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml active dry yeast (not rapid rise yeast)
- 709.77 ml bread flour
- 44.37 ml oil
- 9.85 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put first 4 ingredients in bread machine and stir gently. (yes, this works…).
- Let sit for about 10 minutes. Starter should start to bubble a little.
- Add flour, then spread oil and salt evenly over the flour.
- Select basic course or following custom settings if your bread maker has them:.
- Custom settings for Zojirushi BB-CEC20: Preheat - 20 Minutes ( I start cycle after mixing first four ingredients then add remaining three ingredients after ten minutes), Knead - 20 minutes, Rise1 - 40 minutes, Rise2 - 40 minutes, Rise3 - OFF, Bake - 58 minutes Medium or Dark crust setting ( I use medium), Keep warm - OFF.
- Check a few minutes into kneading and add flour or water as needed to get a just slightly tacky dough that sticks to your fingers like a strong post it note and stretches smoothly without tears when kneading. Sourdough bread dough is a little gloopier then regular white bread.
- See directions for making a starter or order a starter online.
- Like all sourdough breads wait until at room temperature before cutting or insides will clump up and tear the insides out of the loaf.