Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe gives a slightly dense bread with a slightly chewy crust and a little tang from the sour dough, depending entirely on your sourdough. A “San Francisco” sourdough starter is appropriate for this recipe.
- 1 cup sourdough starter, you must have a starter available
- 3⁄4 cup water, warm about 110F
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (not rapid rise yeast)
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Put first 4 ingredients in bread machine and stir gently. (yes, this works…).
- Let sit for about 10 minutes. Starter should start to bubble a little.
- Add flour, then spread oil and salt evenly over the flour.
- Select basic course or following custom settings if your bread maker has them:.
- Custom settings for Zojirushi BB-CEC20: Preheat - 20 Minutes ( I start cycle after mixing first four ingredients then add remaining three ingredients after ten minutes), Knead - 20 minutes, Rise1 - 40 minutes, Rise2 - 40 minutes, Rise3 - OFF, Bake - 58 minutes Medium or Dark crust setting ( I use medium), Keep warm - OFF.
- Check a few minutes into kneading and add flour or water as needed to get a just slightly tacky dough that sticks to your fingers like a strong post it note and stretches smoothly without tears when kneading. Sourdough bread dough is a little gloopier then regular white bread.
- See directions for making a starter or order a starter online.
- Like all sourdough breads wait until at room temperature before cutting or insides will clump up and tear the insides out of the loaf.
We have kept a soudough culture we got in San Francisco in 1996 alive all of these years. Usually we make waffles or biscuits but wanted to try making a bread that didn't come out like a boat anchor. This recipe is awesome and we ate the whole loaf in one evening. Although a heavy loaf, individual pieces were airy in the middle with a chewy crust with a thin crusty layer outside. Yummm!
Thanks for this. I made a few adaptations that got it to work with the timer and also made very good bread. I put equal parts water and whole wheat flour in my sourdough starter. When ready to make bread with timer dissolve 2 tsp sugar in 220 mL 115F water then add 1.5 tsp breadmaker yeast; let sit 10 minutes. Next put 1 cup of sourdough on top of yeast/sugar/water mixture then a layer of 2+2/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour on top. Sprinkle 2+2/3 tsp vital wheat gluten and 2 tsp salt on top of flour and finally put 1/4 cup unsalted butter cubed at the very top. Use french bread cycle. Delicious.
YUM YUM YUM! Great recipe!