Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This bread dough is great for dinner rolls, but it's also fantastic for loaf, kolaches and CINNAMON ROLLS! It can be made by hand, or in a 2lb bread machine. (UPDATED!)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup sugar (optional)
- 16 ounces cream cheese frosting (optional)
- DOUGH BY HAND: Mix water, yeast and sugar. Set aside.
- Mix ALL of the pudding mix with the milk.
- Add melted butter, egg and salt. Mix well. For really soft rolls, don't use the egg; for cinnamon rolls, the egg is a must -- otherwise they flatten out (but they're still tasty!).
- Add yeast mixture. Mix, then knead in flour until dough is smooth.
- Set in a warm place for 1 hour, then punch it down. Let it rise again for another 45 minutes.
- DOUGH IN 2LB BREAD MACHINE: Put the ingredients in the machine in the order listed above. Use the DOUGH setting.
- DO NOT COOK A LOAF OF THIS IN THE BREAD MACHINE! It is a very airy bread, and it will probably ruin your bread machine! (Lesson learned the hard way -- ).
- TO MAKE DINNER ROLLS: Form the dough into 1.5 to 2 inch balls, and place 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet. Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden on top.
- TO MAKE KOLACHES: Form the dough into 1.5 to 2 inch balls. Put mini-sausage and cheese on top, then pull the dough around and wrap it up as best you can. Place 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet. Bake as for DINNER ROLLS.
- CINNAMON ROLLS: Roll dough to 0.25 inch thick rectangle on a floured surface. Mix 1/2 cup melted butter, 1/3 cup cinnamon and 1 cup sugar; spread evenly (as best you can) over the surface of the dough.
- Roll up tightly, starting from a long side. Slice at 1 to 2 inch intervals. Place slices on a greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. (Pour a little melted butter over each one to make the rolls extra moist!).
- Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove them as soon as they turn golden. Frost with cream cheese frosting.
This is the recipe I use for cinnamon rolls!! They are fantastic!!