JB Snead's Note:
This bread dough is great for dinner rolls, but it's also fantastic for loaf, kolaches and CINNAMON ROLLS! It can be made by hand, or in a 2lb bread machine. (UPDATED!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (optional)
- 1/3 cup cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup sugar (optional)
- 16 ounces cream cheese frosting (optional)
- 1DOUGH BY HAND: Mix water, yeast and sugar. Set aside.
- 2Mix ALL of the pudding mix with the milk.
- 3Add melted butter, egg and salt. Mix well. For really soft rolls, don't use the egg; for cinnamon rolls, the egg is a must -- otherwise they flatten out (but they're still tasty!).
- 4Add yeast mixture. Mix, then knead in flour until dough is smooth.
- 5Set in a warm place for 1 hour, then punch it down. Let it rise again for another 45 minutes.
- 6DOUGH IN 2LB BREAD MACHINE: Put the ingredients in the machine in the order listed above. Use the DOUGH setting.
- 7DO NOT COOK A LOAF OF THIS IN THE BREAD MACHINE! It is a very airy bread, and it will probably ruin your bread machine! (Lesson learned the hard way -- ).
- 8TO MAKE DINNER ROLLS: Form the dough into 1.5 to 2 inch balls, and place 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet. Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden on top.
- 9TO MAKE KOLACHES: Form the dough into 1.5 to 2 inch balls. Put mini-sausage and cheese on top, then pull the dough around and wrap it up as best you can. Place 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet. Bake as for DINNER ROLLS.
- 10CINNAMON ROLLS: Roll dough to 0.25 inch thick rectangle on a floured surface. Mix 1/2 cup melted butter, 1/3 cup cinnamon and 1 cup sugar; spread evenly (as best you can) over the surface of the dough.
- 11Roll up tightly, starting from a long side. Slice at 1 to 2 inch intervals. Place slices on a greased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. (Pour a little melted butter over each one to make the rolls extra moist!).
- 12Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
- 13Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove them as soon as they turn golden. Frost with cream cheese frosting.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Bread Dough
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.2
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 17.2 mg
- Sodium 479.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 23.4 g
- Protein 8.6 g