Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I have made many bran muffins over my years of baking this one has become my all-time favorite, and when you make these you will see why! ---throw in some fresh blueberries in place of the raisins if desired, I have even made these using Raisin Bran cereal and also using wheat bran --- you will love these muffins!
Top Review by Spider Monkey 5
I love these muffins. They freeze well and are so easy on busy mornings - just pop one in the microwave and go. I've tried them with blueberries, but I like them best with a few chocolate chips and walnuts. Thanks for another great recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-bran cereal (this will NOT work using Bran Buds cereal)
- 1 cup buttermilk (low-fat is okay)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed (reduce sugar for a a less sweeter muffin)
- 2 teaspoons maple extract or 2 teaspoons use vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour (even better use 1 cup whole wheat flour)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (can use 1 teaspoon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup raisins (or can use chopped dates)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 12 regular-size muffin tins with paper liners (or 7 jumbo muffin tins).
- In a medium bowl mix together the All-Bran cereal with buttermilk; let sit for about 10-12 minutes stirring once.
- In another bowl whisk together the oil, egg, brown sugar and vanilla until well blended, then add to the buttermilk mixture; mix to combine with a wooden spoon.
- In another bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and nutmeg; add to the wet mixture and mix JUST until blended using a wooden spoon or a small spatula (a few small lumps in the mixture are okay!).
- Fold in raisins or dates.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin tins.
- Bake for about 18-22 minutes, or until the muffins test done (if using jumbo muffin tins increase baking time).