Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This Braciole has the best combination of filling and the tastiest sauce. It is really easy. We love it served over gnocchi.
- 1 lb top round steak, thin sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 bunch Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 lb italian ham, sliced very thin (also called proscioutto)
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced very thin
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 6 ounces water
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- Mix garlic, parsley, onion, Parmesan, crumbs in a food processor and process into a paste.
- Lay round steak flat and pound very thin to tenderize. At this point I usuall cut the beef into 2 pieces for manageable rolls, but you can keep it large.
- Spread mixture on beef. Layer the salami, Mozzarella, salt and pepper to taste. Roll up and secure with string or tooth picks.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute in oil, brown on all sides. Remove from pan.
- To oil and drippings a add red wine, tomato products, water, basil, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add beef back to the sauce and simmer very for approximately 90 minutes.
- Serve over gnocchi, pasta, mashed potatoes or whatever you like!