This recipe uses confectioneries sugar instead of vanilla wafers. My family has made these for over 40 years. A true southern delight!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs confectioners' sugar (10x)
- 1 cup butter, softened (not margarine)
- 1/2 lb chopped pecans
- Bourbon (use your favorite, I've used several different brands)
- 1 (12 ounce) bag milk chocolate chips
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 lb paraffin wax, shaved finely (gulf wax)
- 2 tablespoons solid shortening
- 1By hand mix the sugar, butter, pecans and bourbon. Start off with a good splash of bourbon then add tiny bits if too dry. I've never once measured the bourbon and I've been making these since I was about 5, helping mom.
- 2Work mixture until smooth. The mixture should be stiff, not soggy, pliable but not crumbly. I hope that makes sense.
- 3Pinch a tiny bit of mix and roll it in the palm of your hand into a ball. The perfect size ball is a two-biter (a little less than an inch.)
- 4Place on cookie sheets and set aside to air dry. You should not freeze these to firm them quickly, just let them air dry a couple of hours.
- 5Melt chocolates, paraffin and shortening in the microwave 30 seconds at a time.
- 6Stir at end of each 30 seconds.
- 7It will take about 4-5 minutes to melt everything.
- 8Using a salad or cocktail fork place the ball on the end of the fork and dip into chocolate.
- 9Don't prick the end with the fork or a toothpick to dip as some recommend.
- 10Let drain and put back on the cookie sheet.
- 11You may top with a half or whole pecan at this point. This will make about 120 pieces at this size.
- 12When chocolate has set, take a knife and slide under the balls. This makes them come out smooth compared to just picking them up.
- 13Place each piece in a foil or paper fluted candy cup and place in an airtight container.
- 14Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve or give as gifts.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Bourbon Balls
Serving Size: 1 (2975 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 103.4
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 4.1 mg
- Sodium 11.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: