Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Blueberry Grunt is a very old recipe and can be found in many of the older cookbooks. It is basically berries baked with a sweet dumpling topping, but still a DELICIOUS dessert.
- 4 cups blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- In a saucepan, combine the berries, sugar, water and lemon juice.
- Heat to boiling and reduce to a simmer.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter.
- Add the milk, all at once and mix only until moistened.
- Drop by spoonfuls into the simmering berries.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- DO NOT LIFT THE LID.
- Serve warm with Whipped Cream, Cream or Ice Cream.
Instead of the frozen berries I was going to use, I found some great looking fresh ones at the market, & with them I made this simple yet OUTSTANDING DESSERT! Was going to share it with a neighbor, but after the 2 of us devoured almost half of it, we decided to keep it ALL in the family! ABSOLUTELY GREAT, & I'm hoping it will be just as good made with frozen berries! Thanks for a wonderful keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
Love this recipe! Great served warm with ice cream.