Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A combination of recipes I've tried. The sugar can be upped if preferred; I'm just not a fan of sickeningly sweet berries.
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries (or frozen, thawed and drained)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter (softened, almost melted)
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- In a medium saucepan, combine all blueberry ingredients. Stir, and bring to a boil. While berries are heating, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar, stirring well. Add butter and combine well, then add just enough milk to form a dough. Form 8 dumplings with a tablespoon measure, and set aside.
- When berries come to a boil, add dumplings and reduce heat to low, cover with lid and DO NOT TOUCH OR STIR until 20 minutes have passed. Dumplings should be totally cooked through after 20 minutes, unless you make them larger.