1/6 Photos of Best Blueberry Buckle (Blueberry Crumb Cake)
Roxygirl in Colorado's Note:
This is one of my top five all-time favorites! Adapted from "Cook's Illustrated" this rich coffee cake is unique in that it does not contain milk, does not get soggy, despite the 4 cups of blueberries suspended in batter. Nearly identical to "Einstein Bagel's" Blueberry Crumb Cake. Note: I've made this on vacation several times by hand, creaming the butter with a spoon. Despite the lengthy directions it takes about 10 minutes to put together.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml unbleached all-purpose flour (2 1/2 ounces)
- 118.29 ml light brown sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 0.25 ml table salt
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces, softened but still cool (1/2 stick)
- 354.88 ml unbleached all-purpose flour (7 1/2 ounces)
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 147.89 ml unsalted butter, softened but still cool (1 1/4 stick)
- 158.51 ml granulated sugar (about 4 3/4 ounces)
- 2.46 ml table salt
- 2.46 ml lemon zest
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 946.36 ml fresh blueberries, picked over (about 20 ounces)
- 1For the streusel:.
- 2In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, combine flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt on low speed until well combined and no large brown sugar lumps remain, about 45 seconds.
- 3Add butter and mix on low until mixture resembles wet sand and no large butter pieces remain, about 2 1/2 minutes.
- 4Transfer streusel to small bowl and set aside.
- 5For the cake:.
- 6Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9-inch round cake pan*(I used a shallow rectangle white dish and it cut neat squares) with 2-inch sides with nonstick cooking spray.
- 7Whisk flour and baking powder in small bowl to combine; set aside.
- 8In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, cream butter, sugar, salt, and lemon zest at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes; using rubber spatula, scrape down bowl.
- 9Beat in vanilla until combined, about 30 seconds.
- 10With mixer running at medium speed, add eggs one at a time; beat until partially incorporated, then scrape down bowl and continue to beat until fully incorporated (mixture will appear broken). With mixer running on low speed, gradually add flour mixture; beat until flour is almost fully incorporated, about 20 seconds.
- 11Disengage bowl from mixer; stir batter with rubber spatula, scraping bottom and sides of bowl, until no flour pockets remain and batter is homogenous; batter will be very heavy and thick.
- 12Using rubber spatula, gently fold in blueberries until evenly distributed.
- 13Transfer batter to prepared pan; with rubber spatula, using a pushing motion, spread batter evenly to pan edges and smooth surface.
- 14Sprinkle streusel evenly over batter.
- 15Bake until deep golden brown and toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- 16Cool on wire rack 15 to 20 minutes (cake will fall slightly as it cools).
- 17ool until just warm or to room temperature, at least 1 hour. Cut into wedges and serve.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Blueberry Buckle (Blueberry Crumb Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 483.9
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 99.9 mg
- Sodium 254.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 40.7 g
- Protein 5.5 g