This is the only pasta salad my husband will eat. The dressing though similar to other BLT salads on the site has one major difference and it really adds a wonderful zip to the salad. When ever I serve this salad several people go home with the recipe.
- 1 (7 ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 -4 green onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce (I prefer using any original flavor)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice (I often use fresh squeezed)
- Fry bacon until crisp, place on paper toweling to drain.
- Cook pasta following package directions.
- While pasta is cooking crumble bacon, chop tomatoes, and green onion.
- Drain pasta and run under cold water.
- Add pasta, tomatoes, bacon, and green onion to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Pour dressing over pasta and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Shred lettuce just before serving. Add it to the salad; giving it one last good stir.
I needed something for our Post-Holidays Holiday Potluck at work and this fit the bill perfectly. I made 1.5 times the recipe (which was a ton!) and used pre-cooked bacon (2.3 oz pkg) and pre-shredded lettuce (10 oz) to save time. The only change I made was to cut back the mayo just a little bit (used 1 cup instead of 1 1/8 cup). Many of my co-workers told me how good it was. Thanks for helping me preserve my standing among them as a great cook! :) - Jan 6, 2010. UPDATE: I made this again for this year's potluck and only made one recipe (instead of 1.5) and it was plenty. I again used pre-cooked bacon (8 slices) and an 8 oz pkg of lettuce. I still cut back the mayo a Tbsp or two. The only thing I did different this time was using homemade bbq sauce - Easy BBQ Sauce. Got rave reviews again! Thanks again for sharing! :)
A great salad that really does taste like a BLT but with pasta instead of bread. I couldn't bring myself to make the full amount of dressing because I thought it would make the dish too wet. So I cut back both the mayo and bbq sauce by just over a third. The end result was perfect. Five of us enjoyed it for lunch, and I'll be making it often. Thanks for posting.
Wonderful salad, and easy to make too! I used the precooked bacon, and that helped it get done sooner! I didn't change one thing, the taste was perfect just the way it was. I especially loved using the smaller shell/pasta because it really keeps the dressing right inside the shell. Thanks for posting!