Recipe by MacChef
This is my uncles recipe that he makes for family get togethers. It is the best! Other berries can be substituted but blackberries are our favorite! For smaller families or get togethers, this recipe halves easily!
Top Review by melindaschultz
This was very tasty and easy. The only problem that I encountered was that there was too much juice... But this was my first time making blackberry cobbler. I will definitely make again!
- 5 cups blackberries
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons water (a bit more could be necessary depending on your flour)
- 1 (16 ounce) boxrefrigerated pillsbury ready crust pie dough
Directions See How It's Made
- Place filling ingredients in a pot and barely cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Place first three dumpling ingredients in a bowl. Cut shortening into flour using pastry cutter, forks or your hands until it resembles course meal.
- Add water one teaspoon at a time until dough holds together in a ball and does not crumble when pressed.
- Flour a work surface and roll out dumpling dough to about 1/4 - 1/8 inch thick and cut into squares.
- Drop dumplings into berry filling and cook 30 minutes. Make sure to stir when dropping in dumplings so they don't stick together.
- Pour filling into a 4 quart rectangle baking dish.
- Roll out pre-made crusts and place over berries. *Most pre-made pie crust boxes come with 2 single crusts. You will need both crusts and trim the extra off. If you have the patience you can create a lattice crust using the pre-made dough for a pretty presentation.
- Bake your cobbler according to the Pillsbury Ready Crust box directions.
- This recipe can be halved or 2 smaller cobblers made by using two 2 quart dishes and using one pre-made crust per cobbler.