Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my uncles recipe that he makes for family get togethers. It is the best! Other berries can be substituted but blackberries are our favorite! For smaller families or get togethers, this recipe halves easily!
- Place filling ingredients in a pot and barely cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Place first three dumpling ingredients in a bowl. Cut shortening into flour using pastry cutter, forks or your hands until it resembles course meal.
- Add water one teaspoon at a time until dough holds together in a ball and does not crumble when pressed.
- Flour a work surface and roll out dumpling dough to about 1/4 - 1/8 inch thick and cut into squares.
- Drop dumplings into berry filling and cook 30 minutes. Make sure to stir when dropping in dumplings so they don't stick together.
- Pour filling into a 4 quart rectangle baking dish.
- Roll out pre-made crusts and place over berries. *Most pre-made pie crust boxes come with 2 single crusts. You will need both crusts and trim the extra off. If you have the patience you can create a lattice crust using the pre-made dough for a pretty presentation.
- Bake your cobbler according to the Pillsbury Ready Crust box directions.
- This recipe can be halved or 2 smaller cobblers made by using two 2 quart dishes and using one pre-made crust per cobbler.
This was very tasty and easy. The only problem that I encountered was that there was too much juice... But this was my first time making blackberry cobbler. I will definitely make again!
This cobbler is exactly like the ons my Grandma made. I had never made a cobbler before, only helped my Grandma ( and she is in a nursing home, hasn't made a cobbler in YEARS)so I needed a recipe. MawMaw always put dumplings in her cobbler, so this recipe was perfect. The only trouble I had was that I had to put over 7 teaspoons of water in the dumpling batter to get it to hold together, and it barely did at that, but I got it rolled out and in the cobbler. It turned out EXACTLY like my Grandma's cobblers and we couldn't have been more pleased. This is my cobbler recipe from now on! Yummy! Yummy!