Prep 20 mins
Cook 52 mins
Chocolate cake using egg yolks.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup strong-brewed coffee
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour two 9 inch rounds or one 9x13 inch pan.
- In large bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center.
- Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Batter will be thin.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30-40 minutes , or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and finish cooling on a wire rack.
A simlpe and easy to make moist and tender snack cake. The coffee (I used 1 heaping tbls of instant decaf) offsets the sweetness of the sugar. Because I was using a glass 9x13 inch dish, I cooked the cake @ 325°F for 45 minutes and topped it with a bittersweet chocolate glaze.
Dear Claire: Thanks for the cake recipe using the egg yolks up. I haven't made it yet but plan to this week as I have company coming for the weekend including some teenage grandsons. Chocolate cake is always a hit with them. Fondly Charlene Pilcher